Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Your Health or Your Hair? Working out with Natural Hair



So it's that time of year again. It's the beginning of the year, people have made New Year resolutions, and they have hit the gym to lose weight.  Well, some have. According to a new study published December 17th 40% of African American women avoid working out because of their hair.   Yet, 4 out of 5 African American women in this country are overweight or obese, the highest rate in the country according to the US Department of Health and Human Services.(source)

Being natural doesn't necessarily remedy this concern. No one wants to spend hours on a twist out to see it turn into a drawn up afro due the sweat of a hard workout & in the cold winter months walking out of a gym in the morning with a wet head is a no-no.

Well never fear, I am here to help.

When I work out, I usually wear my hair in 1 of 2 ways,

1. In twists, pulled back into a ponytail (for my morning workouts)


Twists pulled back


2.  Pulled back into a curly puff (for my workouts after work) -
I retwist my hair everynight anyway, so I don't lose any definition.

This isn't before a workout but it's the same look.
 
After my workout in the morning, I just blow dry my roots on a low heat setting, untwist my hair and go.  I recently heard about the Bondi Band from Chescalocs and decided to give them a try.  I bought 2 for me and 2 for my bestie Christina who walks/runs with BlackGirlsRun in the San Fran Bay area.  (Hey girl!)  Her hair is relaxed.  So we'll both report back to let you know how well the wicking qualities of this product is & if it helps maintain our respective hairstyles longer.



Nonetheless, we can no longer sacrifice our health for our "look".  There are things we can do to maintain our hairstyle and take care of our health.

What steps are you taking to maintain your hair while working out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...